Monday, December 6, 2010

How to Paint Wolf Fur Cloaks

12:00 PM by David Richardson ·
Labels: , ,
Hi Space Wolf fans. It's been a long time since I posted anything on here so I thought I'd help Adam out with a quick tutorial.

This one is how I do my Space Wolves fur, on the loincloths and cloaks as well as the wolf tail talismans.

WHAT YOU NEED:

Bleached Bone,
Snakebite Leather
Desert Yellow
Gryphonne Sepia
Ogryn Flesh
Devlan Mud

STEP 1

From Tutorials

Start by painting the fur Bleached Bone and the the Leather with Snakebite.

STEP 2

From Tutorials

Wash the fur with Gryphonne Sepia all the way to the edge.

STEP 3

From Tutorials

Wash Ogryn Flesh into the fur but keep it away from the edge of the fur leaving a little bit of Gryphonne showing.
I also wash the Snakebite Leather in this stage too.

STEP 4

From Tutorials

Finally add a small wash of Devlan Mud in the center and at the top of the fur to really darken it.
And once again I wash the Leather.

OPTIONAL

From Tutorials

I paint little lines of Desert Yellow on the edges  of the leather to show it wearing thin.

Thats all there is to it, go and give it a try and let us know what you think?

12 comments:

Gareth said...
December 6, 2010 at 12:07 PM

Great stuff! Easy to do but with a solid result. I love the pose of the model too.

RonSaikowski said...
December 6, 2010 at 1:15 PM

Nice work, I was putting the finishing touches on a similar post when I saw this one on the blogroll.

Ron
From the Warp

Killswitch said...
December 6, 2010 at 2:17 PM

Nice man, love it. Might use that and add a step 6 and paint up the edges of the fur on the ends with sum blech bone :)

Thanks

Alex

CanolliCrusader said...
December 6, 2010 at 3:00 PM

easy/effective...great read!

hatchet said...
December 6, 2010 at 3:14 PM

Looks good. I use the same technique with mine, but I use sepia-brown-black washes and scorched brown to base the leather.

Sgt. Brisbane said...
December 6, 2010 at 11:10 PM

Nicely done! Thank you for this; was wondering if you planned on finishing up the model as a tut as well?

Oer Bloodmoon said...
December 7, 2010 at 5:46 AM

Brilliant! I wanted a new fur recipe for my wolves and randomly checked on the site for something new. I was having trouble painting pelts that were similar to this in colour and I was tired of having dark brown/black/grey ones.

As ever, this website is a great resource.

Keep up the great work guys! Russ would be pleased!

Munky said...
December 7, 2010 at 6:10 AM

Thanks fellas for the comments,
Adam suggested I use this model as a tutorial piece and so I shall, I will go on to paint the whole of it in mini tutorials.

The idea of adding a step 6 to the recipe is spot on, I find if the washes have gone on a little dark you can drybrush Bleached bone on to lighten the fur up.

And as usual Ron great minds think alike! :P

Schaten said...
December 7, 2010 at 3:19 PM

Really nice, will use that...

Maybe we can see a tutorial on how to do nice snow terrain, and how to paint ice?

Munky said...
December 9, 2010 at 11:23 AM

Schaten- I certainly can do that for you, I wanted my wolves on Ice bases first of all, but have gone with snow for now.

I'l whip up a tutorial for the bases in the next few weeks.

Peter O said...
November 14, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Just use this to paint fur. Came out looking good on my first try. Thanks a Lot

Alan Lill said...
July 13, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Yeah I just recently bought an unpainted Space Wolf army, didn't know what or how to paint the wolves. Stumbled across this and think this scheme is going work really well for the mounts.

The Ultimate Space Wolves Resource

Welcome to the Space Wolves blog -the unofficial resource to building, painting and playing the Space Wolf army in Warhammer 40K.


We aim to provide you with all the painting guides, modelling tutorials and game winning tactics you need to get the most from playing your Space Wolf army!


DONATE

Help us to provide you with the best Space Wolves content around. Please donate to help maintain the blog. No amount is too small! FOR RUSS AND THE ALLFATHER!

Wolf Brothers

Recommended Warhammer 40K Blogs

Related Posts with Thumbnails