Friday, July 2, 2010

Decals: Tips n' Tricks

I used to get discouraged when trying to apply decals to space marine shoulder pads, because the decal would not firm up against the shoulder pad and would have a frosty edge. Once I discovered the product below, it solved both of these problems.
You apply the Micro Set before the decal goes on which helps adhere the decal, then apply the Mico Sol after the decal is applied which helps the decal grab on to the shape and detail of the area. It is very simple to use.













Hobby Tip #1: Did you know decals are reversible? 
Great for Terminator's or if you want to use a transfer on the right shoulder pad. 



Apply the Decal Set to the area in question. Once decal is movable slide it up a bit so you see the top for positioning.








Flip the paper over and position decal where you want it.
















Carefully slide off onto the shoulder using the brush.
















Dab off any excess liquid with a paper towel. Allow to set / soften for a bit, and you can carefully press out any wrinkles in the decal to  the shape of the shoulder pad.














Once happy with the placement above use the decal Sol to finalize and give the decal that painted on look. Allow to dry fully.




Note: Some multi colored decals are not exactly reversible such as Logan's Wolf against the Moon. when reversed the full moon is on top of the wolf head.

Hobby Tip #2: You can convert decals and make them your own. 


For my army of Harold Deathwolfs Company, there is no GW decal, and I didn't fancy Painting every Icon by hand, so I though I would modify the existing Logan Grimnar decal into a "version" of Harolds Wolf devouring the Sun.

Apply the logan Icon using Tip #1 above.






Once fully dry, I used yellow ink to color in the moon. The ink is translucent, so it does not interfere with the detail of the wolf.










Once the Ink is dry I start blocking off the sun by painting little triangles around the perimeter.


....Continuing until the sun is complete.
















Harold Deathwolfs' Unit complete! Why are these Space Wolves Black? That is another story.

6 comments :

BJ said...
July 2, 2010 at 6:12 PM

I use those products all the time, I love them.

Anonymous said...
July 2, 2010 at 7:07 PM

Hello, I find I have to cut the transfers around the edge to make them sit flat on power armour shoulder pad. Does anyone else have this problem or am I being an idiot?
thanks

Munky said...
July 3, 2010 at 12:11 AM

Great tut. matey I use these products too but I also trim the transfer back to just the coloured shape, it helps them to fit those pesky shoulder pads.

jabberjabber said...
July 3, 2010 at 1:07 AM

@anonymous -- I too have problems making some decals match the curvature of should pads. I sometimes make a small radial cut toward the centre of the decal to allow a certain amount of flexure, so long as it doesn't ruin the image itself.

Anonymous said...
July 3, 2010 at 2:55 PM

Thanks I will trim them back a bit more and carry on putting a few small cuts towards the centre.
Good site btw, I have been reading it for a while now. Keep up the good work.

Duke of Earl said...
July 4, 2010 at 11:29 AM

I've had some success wit watered down PVA. Easier to find for me I guess.

Thanks for the tip about reversing transfers.

The Ultimate Space Wolves Resource

Welcome to the Space Wolves blog -the unofficial resource to building, painting and playing the Space Wolf army in Warhammer 40K.


We aim to provide you with all the painting guides, modelling tutorials and game winning tactics you need to get the most from playing your Space Wolf army!



Wolf Brothers

Recommended Warhammer 40K Blogs